IOC-UN Environment Training of trainers and technology validation on the Global Nutrient Management Toolbox
20 - 24 March 2017, Quezon City, Philippines
This “Training of trainers and technology validation on the Global Nutrient Management Toolbox” is intended to enhance uptake and replication in its application across the globe and is to be attended by participants from the major global regions to test the toolbox capabilities and its relevance under various management circumstances and geographic conditions. It will introduce trainees to the Index of Coastal Eutrophication Potential (or ICEP), which was developed for 63 LMEs for contemporary (approximately year 2000) conditions and for a future “current trends” scenario for the years 2030 and 2050 using results of the Global NEWS (Nutrient Export from Watersheds) model. The capability to apply ICEP is intimately linked to eventually being able to respond at national and regional level to Sustainable Development Goal 14, Target 14.1 and the
14.1.1 Index of coastal eutrophication.
Expected learning achievements:
• Understanding the science behind the nutrient flux modelling modules of the Toolbox;
• Understanding of toolbox modelling requirements and scenario runs at continental scale to that of large marine ecosystems (LMEs);
• Understanding the Index of Coastal Eutrophication Potential (ICEP)
• Demonstration of Manila Bay model evaluations;
• Use model for nutrient flows in the various megacities, scenario analysis and interpretation of results;
• Understanding the linkages between the various tools and how these will be applied in decision support processes at both technical and policy levels.
Marine Science Institute
University of the Philippines Diliman
1101 Quezon City